Sunday, November 27, 2016

Reverberation Radio: I know that I know nothing



Hey dear readers! For this beautiful Sunday I wanted to do something a bit different from what we usually do here, so I'm going to share what has been probably the best discovery I've made over the last few years.

Music is a huge part of my life, so discovering new music everyday has been pretty much paramount in my mind. I found The Allah-las a few years back and fell in love with a sounds that had eluded me for years. It's not about the whole surf/beach/beat/merseyside/country-ish kinda thing they (and other California bands like Los Growlers) have going on; Rather, it's about this pretty vague sense of longing and belonging, a sense of times long gone and mysterious values that you can't quite put your finger in. I know it sounds confusing but bear with me, it's pretty god damn hard to explain. I grew up on all the music you can fit into the Classic Rock category, and a couples years into my first experience, I heard Progressive Rock music. I was struck immediately by this pleasant uneasiness that to this day I have a really hard time describing. From then on, I spent years and years trying to find that sound, that inexplicable stimuli that precipitated such rush of emotions.

One day, I was reading through some interview featuring Matt Correia from the Allah-las, in which the interviewer called him a prolific curator of playlists. I thought it was awesome, being known for doing just that, so I kept on reading, specifically aiming at finding the reason why he was called that. And then I found it, this aesthetically brilliant Tumblr kinda blog with, by then, 200 playlists containing roughly 10 to 12 songs each. I thought, well, that's awesome, lots of cool music to listen to. I kept browsing the playlists and realized I knew maybe one song out of each. Just one. One fucking song. I felt as if the weight of the world was pushed into my shoulders. What the fuck is all this, and more importantly, why have I never heard about any of that?.

So I began, slowly but steadily listening to everything that I was unfamiliar with. To my surprise, I experienced even stronger uneasiness and emotions than I ever experienced before with any piece of music. What's all the more interesting is, it doesn't matter what style of music the song featured. Everything sent chills down my spine... So then, I realized, it's not about this certain, very specific type of music, but rather, it's a combination of thoroughly looking into the vast extension of the undiscovered and whatever feelings it might bring, and the certainty of that immensity. 

So today, I present to you: the undiscovered. Have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment