Sunday, November 27, 2016

Thee Commons - Wampiro: An exciting take on an exotic style

Thee Commons' Loteria Tribal - Taken from their Bandcamp

Aaaaaaaaaah! Cumbia! For today's second pill, we'll be checking out the intriguing sounds of this LA Band, and their take on one of Latin America's most wide spread rhythms. 

Thee Commons label the music they play as Psychedelic Cumbia Punk, and I couldn't agree more. It's as mystic as cumbia, as fun as punk and as experiential as psychedelic music. This particular song features prominent bass and drums, excitingly put together in a tropical, ear-catching, colourful way. Reverberated guitars are something that feels like home to me, and when delivered in this dub-ish kinda way, it sure as hell makes me go "Uh!". This lovely pill doesn't have a lot of singing, but little as it has, it's delivered in a great, very entertaining way and just at the right moment. 


I gotta say, this sort of fondness for latin mojo driven music has been growing on me a lot recently, so I just had to go back and rediscover a whole bunch of bands that I dismissed in the past. Luckily, that wasn't the case with this one, specially with this song; actually, it came at the right moment, right when my mind was open enough to get really excited about it. Talk about a serious deal, right?

But enough of this pseudo astral talk, let this be a lesson to yourself. Times change, and so do people.

Thread lightly, and while you can by all means stand by what you believe in, try not to be so categorical with your taste, it's always changing and -here comes an ugly word- evolving. 

Check out this little piece of my own personal experience with evolution in the embedded track below. Shoot us a comment if you've got som'ing to say!

No comments:

Post a Comment